National Blue Ribbon Week on April, 2018: What does the blue ribbon stand for? I've seen these ribbons?
National Blue Ribbon Week 2018. Catholic schools in Bethesda, Rockville and Darnestown honored as ... 2011 National Blue Ribbon
Many groups have adopted BLUE ribbons as symbols of support or awareness for the following;
Mainly Blue Ribbons stand for awareness of PROSTATE CANCER AND CHILD ABUSE.
-In the U.S.A., a Blue Ribbon Campaign against child abuse originated in the spring of 1989 when Bonnie Finney of Virginia tied a blue ribbon to her car antenna, as tribute to her three year old grandson, Michael Bubba Dickinson, who died at the hands of his abusive father. The blue color of the ribbon symbolizes the color of bruises.
-In the U.S., a baby blue ribbon is the symbol of prostate cancer awareness.
-In Victoria, Australia, the blue ribbon is the symbol of remembrance for police officers killed in the line of duty .
-In Canada, it is the symbol of an anti-tobacco, anti-second hand smoke campaign. It also has the same meaning in Japan. Students of the Hugh Boyd Secondary School in Richmond, British Columbia started the "Blue Ribbon Campaign" in 1999. Each year it has grown and now has taken on a national scope
-The "Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign" is an online campaign by the EFF endorsing the protection of free speech on the Internet.
- In Spain, a blue ribbon (lazo azul) has been used by those opposing the terrorism of ETA.
- In Ukraine, a blue ribbon represents solidarity with Viktor Yanukovych's opposition, support for the "Party of Regions" (Ukrainian: Партія регіонів) and protest against the seizure of power by Viktor Yushchenko during the Orange Revolution in December of 2004.
- The blue ribbon was used in the Cedar Revolution in Lebanon in 2005, the movement to end perceived Syrian hegemony over Lebanese politics.
- In Israel, blue ribbons indicate support for the Israel unilateral disengagement plan of 2004, as opposed to orange ribbons, which indicate opposition. It is intended to invoke the flag of Israel.
- In Japan, a blue ribbon is a symbol against abduction by North Korea (DPRK, Kim's government). It symbolizes the Sea of Japan, between Japan and Korea.
- In spring 2007, thousands of World bank employees started wearing blue ribbons as a symbol of support for the cause of good governance. This was seen as a silent protest against World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz, who had to step down several weeks later due to charges of nepotism.
do police officers wear the black tape thing national law enforcement week?
My department we reserve the black mourning band for recently deceased in the line of duty officers.
We also drape the office or station the officer worked in in black and blue bunting.
For Police Week we have a parade of officers in dress uniform with pictures of LOD death officers along the route. We then have a memorial service at our memorial wall.
We wear and fly from our vehicles a blue ribbon in memorial during police week.
Colors of cancer awareness for each month?
Not sure what you mean by colors of cancer awareness . . lol . . but if you are referring to the ribbon color used for some types of cancer and the National Health Observants by month . . here goes:
January - National Cervical Cancer Awareness Month (Teal ribbon)
January - unofficial Thyroid cancer (Blue/Pink/Teal ribbon)
February - National Cancer Prevention Month
February 4 - World Cancer Day
March -National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month (Blue or Brown ribbon)
March - Kidney Cancer Awareness Month (orange ribbon)
April - National Cancer Control Month - American Cancer Society
April 4-10 - National Young Adult Cancer Awareness Week
April 18-24 - National Minority Cancer Awareness Week
April 12-18 - Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Week
May - Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month (black ribbon)
May - National Neurofibromatosis Month
May 3-9 - Brain Tumor Action Week
June -National Cancer Survivors Day
June - Men's Health & Cancer Awareness Month (Purple ribbon)
June 6 - National Cancer Survivors Day
July - Sarcoma Awareness month (yellow ribbon)
August - nothing official
September - Childhood Cancer Month (yellow or gold ribbon)
September - Blood Cancer Awareness Month (orange ribbon)
September - National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month; (teal ribbon)
September - Prostate Cancer Awareness Month; (Light blue ribbon)
September - Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month (peach ribbon)
September - Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month (Blue/Pink/Teal ribbon)
Sept 26 - National Mesothelioma Awareness Day
October - National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (pink ribbon)
Oct 13 - Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day
November - Lung Cancer Awareness Month; (white or clear ribbon)
November - Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month (purple ribbon)
November - National Stomach Cancer Awareness Month (periwinkle ribbon)
November 14 - Brain Tumor Awareness Day (gray ribbon)
December - nothing official