The Masters Tournament on April, 2021: how to qualify for the masters golf tournament?
The Masters Tournament 2021. The Masters Tournament Buy 2014 Masters Tickets. Compare Prices. Save 15% or More.
The Masters Tournament, also known as The Masters or The US Masters, is one of the four major championships in professional golf.
1. Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
2. US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
3. British Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
4. PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
5. Winners of The Players Championship (3 years)
6. Current US Amateur Champion (6-A) (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year) and the runner-up (6-B) to the current US Amateur Champion
7. Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
8. Current US Amateur Public Links Champion
9. Current US Mid-Amateur Champion for 2005
10. The first 16 players, including ties, in the 2005 Masters Tournament
11. The first 8 players, including ties, in the 2005 US Open Championship
12. The first 4 players, including ties, in the 2005 British Open Championship
13. The first 4 players, including ties, in the 2005 PGA Championship
14. The 40 leaders on the Final Official PGA Tour Money List for 2005
15. The 10 leaders on the Official PGA Tour Money List published during the week prior to the 2006 Masters Tournament.
16. The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for 2005.
17. The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the 2006 Masters Tournament
why do winners of the masters golf tournament get a green jacket.?
Why Are Masters Champions Presented with a Green Jacket?
By Brent Kelley, About.com Guide
Question: Why Are Masters Champions Presented with a Green Jacket?
Each year, the winner of The Masters is presented with the famous "Green Jacket." Slipping on the green jacket is the golden moment for many winners of the tournament. But how did a green jacket come to be such a big deal? What is the story behind the vaunted Green Jacket?
Answer: Let's face it: if you saw someone walking around in public in a shamrock green jacket, you'd probably think that person was severely fashion-challenged.
But the Green Jacket presented to the Masters champion is one beautiful piece of outerwear. The tradition of the Green Jacket at Augusta National Golf Club dates to 1937. That year, members of the club wore green jackets during the tournament so that fans in attendance could easily recognize them if a fan needed to ask questions.
According to the tournament's official website, Masters.com:
"Jackets were purchased from the Brooks Uniform Company, New York City ... Members were not initially enthusiastic about wearing the warm, green coat. Within several years, a lightweight, made-to-order Jacket was available from the Club's Golf Shop. ... The single breasted, single vent Jacket's color is 'Masters Green' and is adorned with an Augusta National Golf Club logo on the left chest pocket. The logo also appears on the brass buttons."
Soon, the Green Jacket became the symbol of membership in the ultra-exclusive Augusta National Golf Club. And slipping a jacket onto the winner of The Masters - a tradition that began in 1949 - symbolized that golfer's entry into the exclusive club of Masters champions.
How many players are considered for a Master Series Tournament?
In a Masters Series tournament, the size of the draw varies depending on the event. The first two MS tournaments of the year, Miami and Indian Wells, have 96 player draws. The next five MS events, the European clay court and American hard court tournaments, all have 64 player draws. The year ends with the two indoor MS tournaments, both with 48 player draws.
This ends up working well with the rankings. As the year progresses, the number of players with a chance of qualifying for the year end championships gets smaller, along with the MS tournament draws.
Each MS tournaments operates by its own rules and organization (prize money, the way it's run, etc.). What makes them distinct however is the mandatory nature of the event. Like the grand slam tournaments, players who qualify must play or receive a 0 point penalty in their rankings. The MS tournaments also offer equal ranking points. And they advertise together.