Geographic Information Systems Day 2024 is on Tuesday, November 19, 2024: Geographic Information Systems? Anyone?
Tuesday, November 19, 2024 is Geographic Information Systems Day 2024. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Day Geographic Information Systems
I do all the demo CDs for ESRI. Does that count? Mind you, I don't work with GIS that ofter, but I interact with those who do--every day! I am located at their main office in SoCal.
I'll take Geographic Information System (GIS) class this semester. Is it a hard class?
If you think aboat Geographic Information traditionally you think about contour lines showing alititude and depth of water.
Modern day Geographic Information Systems attach a lot more information about things such as vegetation,population density, demographics, traffic etc. That way you can ask questions like (how many people are effected by a noise contour around an airport? Or, How many people live within a 6 minute drive of a location where I want to put a shopping center?
All kinds of civic planning uses GIS systems for the placement of schools, serivces, fire stations, etc. Commercially, you want to know where to put your transportation hubs, office buildings.
You may want to target a certain income or racial demographic, so you want to know what the percentage of people within a certain area have an income.
Or you may want to know something about vegetation, and animal habitats, or wetlands if you are considering a large development.
Take a few minutes and read through a GIS website (I put a link to San Diego's GIS website in the source).
Give some information of any contry about its resources, government, political and legal system and physical?
.............CIA WORLD FACT BOOK.............
Every country in the world with every bit of information from how many people with aids to what kind of governmentetc.
Notes and Definitions
Guide to Country Profiles
Guide to Rank Order Pages
History of The World Factbook
Contributors and Copyright Information
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Flags of the World
Gallery of Covers
- Country information has been updated as of 19 July 2007.
- Several notable geographic changes have occurred. The US Board on Geographic Names (BGN) now recognizes Timor-Leste as the short form name for East Timor; its description may be found under this new designation. France's overseas possessions were recently reorganized. The five former entities of Bassas da India, Europa Island, Glorioso Islands, Juan de Nova Island, and Tromelin Island, previously grouped as Iles Eparses (Scattered Islands), now constitute a district of the French Southern and Antarctic Lands. Additionally, the islands of St. Barthelemy and St. Martin, formerly a part of the French overseas region of Guadeloupe, now make up separate overseas collectivities and have their own Factbook entries.
- In the Government category, the "Capital" entry has been greatly expanded and now contains up to four subfields, including significant new information having to do with time. The subfields consist of the name of the capital itself, its geographic coordinates, the time difference at the capital from coordinated universal time (UTC), and, if applicable, information on daylight saving time (DST). Where appropriate, a special note has been added to highlight those countries that have multiple time zones.
- The Transnational issues category now has a “Trafficking in persons” entry. Human trafficking connotes modern-day slavery and this important new field will include information on the most egregious countries (Tier 2 Watch List and Tier 3) as listed in the US State Department's annual report.
- A new Appendix G lists Weights and Measures . The appendix includes information on mathematical notation and metric interrelationships, as well as over 400 examples of standard conversion factors.
-Revision of some individual country maps, first introduced in the 2001 edition, is continued in this edition. Several regional maps have also been updated to reflect boundary changes and place name spelling changes.
The online Factbook is updated periodically throughout the year.