Rhubarb Month on October, 2022: Can I freeze rhubarb?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
October, 2022 is Rhubarb Month 2022. Burpee® Rhubarb Plants Order Direct Sow Plants Today. Spring is Here - Shop Now & Save!
Rhubarb can be frozen so it can be stored for a longer period of time. Rhubarb can be frozen as whole stalks but it is easier to store if it is first cut into pieces and packaged in a freezer container. It can also be made into sauce and then frozen. Frozen rhubarb can be used for making jams and sauces, and it can also be used in pies and desserts.
There are several methods that can be used for freezing rhubarb. Determining which method to use will depend on end use and personal preference. All methods are fairly simple. Before using any of the methods, there are some tips listed below that may help produce a better quality frozen product.
* Be sure to use only fresh, good quality rhubarb. They should be fresh looking, crisp and blemish free. If the stalks are fibrous, be sure to remove the stringy fibers.
* Clean the rhubarb thoroughly and cut into the size pieces you desire for the end product.
* Be sure to use airtight freezer safe containers. If using freezer bags, be sure to remove as much air from the bag as possible before sealing.
* Allow enough headspace in the freezing containers or bags before sealing to allow for expansion when the rhubarb freezes. Allow approximately 1/2 inch for pint size containers and 3/4 to 1 inch for quart size containers.
* Place the rhubarb in the coldest part of the freezer so that they will freeze as quickly as possible. Store for up to 9 months.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie problems?
Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie -- not enough flour is why.
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 pints fresh strawberries
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2.In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
3.Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.
4.Apply yolk to top of pie, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top to let steam escape.
5.Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack.
is rhubarb poison to eat with an R in the month,like september etc.?
You can eat rhubarb stalks at any time. And not all rhubarb stalks turn red, so you don't need to be concerned about the color of the stalks, either.
You shouldn't eat the leaves because of the potential for oxalic acid poisoning. You'd have to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves to do serious harm to yourself, however. Cabbage, spinach, potatoes and peas all contain oxalic acid and most people never ingest enough to harm themselves.